In 2017, the HZ Green Office started to implement waste separation at APV campus in Vlissingen. The initiative was part of the 4th year course Sustainable Practice; business students kick-started the project, and followed-up and improved by another group of business students and eventually adopted by the HZ Green Office. APV housing welcomed the idea. Also the city of Vlissingen is very enthusiastic, since they are eager for pilots on waste separation, due to European legislation demanding every city to decrease the amount of waste produced from 400 kg per person to 100 kg per person. Campus Vlissingen also joined the project at the end of 2018.
HZ Green Office has provided information material, such as posters, for student rooms. And a concept for a workshop on waste separation.
Proper waste separation demands constant attention. Students that originate from many different countries (with differing customs on waste separation) live at APV. And every year a new group of students arrives at APV campus. This means that information on waste separation needs to be given every year to the new arrivals. So waste seperation at the campuses is a continuous project.
Another initiative taken by business students is to separate frying oil at student houses.
In addition, we'll be collaborating with HZ facility management to further improve waste separation at within our school buildings.
- Waste separation at the student accommodation locations APV and Campus Vlissingen
- In collaboration with the municipality of Vlissingen
- Active role in informing the students of how to separate their waste through posters and organising workshops
- We are looking for students that would like to give these workshops or perhaps have an idea of their own on how to better inform the students on the waste separation procedures
- Cooking oil collection at student accommodation locations
- We are looking at how to stimulate the collection of cooking oil and ways of how to collect and dispose of it
- 2 barrels currently at APV and Campus Vlissingen
- Return of the good old mug
- We want to facilitate the removal of paper cups in the HZ University in favour of reusable mugs and bottles
Want to help us with these projects? Or do you have a new idea on the topic of waste management?
Send us an email or come visit us at the HZ Green Office!