Since 2018 the Green Office is facilitating clean up events at the beaches in Vlissingen and in and around "De Binnenhaven", inspired by Monique Jankowski’s efforts with her organization “Doe Mee, Verlos de Zee!”. The Green Office invites everyone to join in the efforts towards a clean and healthy environment at and around the University buildings. The Green Office works together with the Municipality of Vlissingen, which is providing materials like trash pickers, bags, and arranges the disposal of the collected trash. To help Rijkwaterstaat to gain an insight into the plastic litter distribution on the coasts of the East and Western Scheldt, integrated monitoring events are carried out in conjunction with the Clean-ups. This is your chance to participate in scientific research, contribute to a better understanding of litter distribution and future efforts to keep the local beaches clean.
Student journalism Janine Vink from Utrecht University found out about our initiative and wrote an article (in Dutch) about the cleanups, which gives a great impression.
The outcome of our first research, testing different monitoring methods, can be read in this report :USING CITIZEN SCIENCE IN MONITORING PLASTIC DEBRIS ON BEACHES
Clean-ups are organized almost on a weekly basis. A new schedule for February 2020 will be posted on this webpage soon. To always be up to date about the weekly clean-ups, visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hzgreenoffice/
You don’t need to bring anything to participate but appropriate clothing. The clean-ups, together with other Green Office activities, are a chance to gain some extra credits for students of the HZ (e.g. linked to HZ Personality/ fcc's) while connecting to new people, participate in an outdoor activity and making a step towards a clean and circular economy.
The whole initiative is based on volunteers, so every volunteer is welcome to join our efforts!
We are excited to welcome you to our clean-ups!
new schedule for 2020 will be posted soon
Multi-stakeholder initiative clean water Vlissingen
HZ Green Office is part of a multi-stakeholder initiative with the aim to keep the waters in and around Vlissingen clean. Different stakeholders participate in this initiative, such as Waterschap Scheldestromen, gemeente Vlissingen, the fishery ("de Vismijn"), Reclassering, politie, rowing club De Honte, and Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen. This initiative is part of the Convenant Schone Schelde, an initiative from Rijkswaterstaat to decrease the amount of waste in the river Scheldt. the convenant has been signed by 28 parties, amongst which HZ University.
Clean water Vlissingen is currently working on a Project Plan: Project plan Concept 7 jan 2020
On a monthly basis, the stakeholders come together to discuss strategies and actions taken to minimize the waste on the beaches, de Binnenhaven and in and around the Canal. The minutes of these meetings can be found underneath (the minutes are in Dutch).
Nieuws en evenementen
Bezig met laden…
Bezig met laden…
- Project plan Schone Schelde Concept 7 jan 2020, Adriaan Luijk, Monique Jankowski, Ingrid de Vries, Schoon Vlissingen, 7 januari 2020.
- Verslag 13 mei 2019, Ingrid de Vries, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 13 mei 2019.
- Verslag overleg 5 nov 2019, Ingrid de Vries, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 5 november 2019.
- Verslag overleg 7 jan 2020, Ingrid de Vries, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 7 januari 2020.
- Verslag overleg 7 okt 2019, Ingrid de Vries, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 7 oktober 2019.
- Article Janine Vink, Janine Vink, University Utrecht, 20 januari 2020.
- USING CITIZEN SCIENCE IN MONITORING PLASTIC DEBRIS ON BEACHES, Liliane Geerling, Christoph Sonneck, HZ Green Office, Rijkswaterstaat, 17 december 2019.
- Verslag overleg 17 juni 2019, Monique Jankowski, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 17 juni 2019.
- Verslag overleg 3 dec 2018, Monique Jankowski, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 3 december 2018.
- Verslag 7 jan 2019, Monique Jankowski, Adriaan Luijk, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 17 januari 2019.
- Verslag overleg 11 feb 2019, Monique Jankowski, Adriaan Luijk, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 11 februari 2019.
- Convenant Schone Schelde, RWS, RWS, 19 februari 2020.
- Verslag 11 maart 2019, Rebecca Hart, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 11 maart 2019.
- Verslag overleg 8 april, Rebecca Hart, Doe Mee Verlos de Zee Vlissingen, 8 april 2019.