How effective would emergency response be in case of a levee failure?
A flood-prone area will experience a dramatic change if a levee fails, and emergency response will be crucial for mitigating the losses that such an event could potentially cause. Within this thematic area, testbed activities on emergency response will be executed in order to assess its effectiveness in case of a levee breach. Failure mechanisms and damages induced during levee stress tests will serve as a starting point for emergency response exercises. Activities within this thematic area are classified in five topics:
- Levee inspection exercises,
- Exploring breach closure strategies,
- Controlled breach initiation tests,
- Large-scale European emergency response exercise,
- Flood risk perception study.