- Country: United Kingdom
- Type of provider: Campsite
- By recycling spent coffee grounds, they reduce coffee waste to landfill, recycle the grounds in our facility, and repurpose them as the products mentioned above. And as a business, they do they're best to re-use, repair and refurbish as much equipment as possible involved in our day-to-day operations.
Summary of the project
A team of experts innovating through coffee waste to create impactful, sustainable change.
The UK drinks 95 million cups of coffee a day, which creates hundreds of thousands of tonnes of waste coffee grounds every year. Typically, those grounds are disposed of and sent to landfill, where they emit harmful greenhouse gases including methane, a greenhouse gas 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide. But they found a better solution…
Working with the existing waste management and logistics infrastructure, spent coffee grounds from independent coffee shops, coffee chains, office blocks, transport hubs and instant coffee factories across the UK.
Because wet used coffee grounds are heavy, disposing of them in general waste to landfill can be expensive - so recycling spent grounds can reduce waste disposal costs for businesses. It's also much better for the environment, producing 80% less greenhouse gas emissions than sending grounds to landfill and 70% less than anaerobic digestion.
At the coffee recycling facility in Cambridgeshire, they upcycle spent coffee grounds into a variety of sustainable bio-products, including:
1) Natural coffee extract from food-grade spent grounds, for application in food & beverage manufacturing;
2) Bulk, raw material for various industries, including automotive friction, bioplastics, cosmetics, textiles and print;
3) Coffee Logs for wood-burning and multi-fuel stoves. Coffee Logs burn hotter than wood, while displacing carbon-heavy coal and mass imported wood.
4) Coffee biomass pellets for industrial / commercial-scale biomass boilers.
Bio-bean is about creating change: at scale, with longevity and with real impact. And as a Certified B Corporation™, and with sustainability at the heart of everything they do, they’re in it for the long haul, creating impact built to last.
Bio-bean works with the existing waste management and logistics infrastructure to complete spent grounds collections from businesses at every scale across the UK.
Do you want to know more about this organization? Please visit their website: www.bio-bean.com LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bio-bean/